The Island Slipper story has always been about family.
1946 Takizo and Misao Motonaga open their factory in the Kaka‘ako district of Honolulu, partnered with the Baba family. They make slipper soles from old tires due to WWII supply shortages.
1950s The families go separate ways. The Babas found Y B Slipper and the Motonagas transition Island Slipper to a premium product.
1960s Island Slipper reaches mainland markets. One of the most popular products is a wooden clog heel.
1967 Takizo Motonaga passes away. His children continue to run the company.
1970s Island Slipper develops a dinstinctive tropical style, with brightly colored materials and tapa prints.
1984 The Motonaga family sells their Kawaiaha’o Street property and build a new factory on Dillingham Boulevard
1985 The Motonaga family offers the company to John Carpenter, a local footwear industry colleague who knows the manufacturing end of things inside and out.
1988 John’s wife Daisy officially joins Island Slipper.
1989 John introduces a new slipper designed for all-day wear, with superior comfort and durability. It sets a new industry standard for quality slippers.
1990s Island Slipper broadens its mainland market, expands to resort and island communities in the Caribbean, Central America and the South Pacific. Becomes a fashion icon in Japan.
1992 Island Slipper provides slippers for the US Olympic Synchronized Swim Team for the 1992 Pan American Games.
2000 The factory moves to a new and larger location in Pearl City
2006 Island Slipper opens its first retail outlet, The Island Slipper Store in Honolulu at Ward Warehouse.
John’s son Matt and daughter-in-law Tersha officially join the company.
Island Slipper is recognized as one of Hawaii’s 50 Fastest Growing Businesses.
2012 Island Slipper named Best High-End Slipper by Honolulu Magazine’s Best of Honolulu
2013 Island Slipper opens its second retail store in the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center in Waikiki.
2016 Island Slipper opens a retail store in the new Bloomingdale’s wing at Ala Moana Center.